Translate My Blog!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Japanese High School

At long last, you will know what my school is!

So, the school is called: Aichi Prefectural Commercial High School (Shortened to AISHO)
Here's the website: http://www.aichi-ch.aichi-c.ed.jp/ (Use the built in Google translate extension if you have it to decipher some of the Japanese!)


What a long name for a high school, huh? Anyway, I'm not sure how much I'll like it but I'm keeping my mind open for sure.

Here's what I know about it:

  • It's run by the prefectural government (there are international, national, municipal, prefectural and private schools to my knowledge, and there are probably more!)
  • 80% of the school is female (and apparently the number is increasing every year)
  • I don't know the total population though
  • It's a commercial school so it's all centered around business. Eww.
  • They have weird uniforms
  • They don't have the clubs I wanted to do BUT I AM DETERMINED TO FIND ONE.
  • It's not the same high school my host sister goes to. We don't know why! It's kinda sad. Oh well!
  • The sophomores go on a school trip to Nagasaki in October says the website!! Probably too much money for me, though. Am I even a sophomore? Still waiting for my information sheets...

Clubs they offer:

          Sports-Type Clubs
  • Baseball
  • Archery (kyudo)
  • Sword fighting (kendo)
  • Fencing
  • Athletics (pretty sure this is track)
  • Swimming
  • Volleyball
  • Handball
  • Women's Basketball
  • Men's Basketball
  • Ping Pong
  • Hard Tennis
  • Soft Tennis
  • Dance
  • Baton (this was in the cultural section but I'm putting it here!!)

Some pictures of a few of the sports clubs at AISHO:

Dance:
Aren't they so cute!!?



Baton:
It reminds me of cheer leading! I wish I had full range of motion in my arm. This club looks like fun!




Kendo:
Japanese sword fighting!!



Kyudo:
Apparently, my school has really nice archery grounds.
It takes months of training before you're allowed to even hold the bow, though.
So, no archery for me!! 



Athletics: 
Yeah, this is track!



 Tennis:
I've never played it but a lot of my friends in America do.



Baseball:
Which is of course a boys-only club.





         Cultural-Type Clubs
  • Accounting Research Department
  • Word Processor Unit (typing)
  • English-Language Word Processor Unit 
  • Information Processing Unit 
  • Shorthand
  • Calligraphy
  • Abacus
  • Brass Band (which includes woodwinds, it's not all brass)
  • Music (it looks like a band with a singer and drums/guitar/bass, etc...so cool!)
  • Drama
  • Debate
  • Commercial Art (seems like regular art!)
  • ESS (English language something club, looks like fun actually!)
  • Literature
  • Tea/Flower Arrangement
  • Photography
  • Broadcasting (looks like radio)
  • Volunteer Group

Some pictures of a few of the cultural clubs at AISHO:


Volunteer Group:
This would seem like a good choice for me, but they are primarily focused on learning sign language.
They sell bread and cookies for charity, help disabled people, and just generally do great things.
Who knows, this could be the club for me!!



ESS:
English Speaking Society I think! 
They learn English and speak with each other and write an English school newspaper,
and they even have Christmas parties and stuff for the foreign teachers. So cute.



Accounting Research Department:
Yawn. I'd be staring out the window at the pretty view the whole time!
But, these are the classes you get at a commercial high school!



Music:
So cool! If only I could sing or play one of these instruments.




Tea/Flower Arrangement:
The picture is really bad, but oh well! 
This class looks like flower arrangement and tea ceremony bundled up into one!
Kyoko takes tea ceremony at her school! It would not be good for my poor back, though..



Commercial Art:
Or, just "Art." Such cute drawings!



Word Processor Unit:
Basically, who can type the best and the fastest? YUCK.



I'm pretty sad because this school doesn't have cooking for some reason...or soccer??? Pretty much all schools have them and those were the two I was choosing between. I mean, of course I can play flute but I don't want to do what I've always done and they practice too much in Japan. If someone chooses an instrument there, they practice every single day for at least 3-4 hours usually, unless the school is not that serious! 

I'm looking at: volunteer, ESS (I want to teach ESL or be an ambassador when I'm older), dance (depends on if they want my awful skills), and some others but nothing is really catching my eye yet.

So, what club would you join? Ask me any questions you have about Japan!! I might edit in the rest of the club pictures later, too!

4 comments:

  1. I really wanted to do dance but my school doesn't have it! It looks like it's only girls too, but I'd join it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance would be awesome if I could move my arm well enough haha! Maybe I'll see if I can join it though :) move across the city and switch schools with me!! I wish there were other exchange students going to AISHO.

      Delete
    2. Not sure if we can just switch schools that easily. I might just have to start up a dance club in my school. Yeah, it would be nice to have other exchange students going to the same school, but at the same time we'll probably become Japanese faster without them there!

      Delete
    3. Hah, please do!!! Hey, we'll just be super popular I guess :D

      Delete

Thanks for reading my post!! Love you :) Leave me a comment and I'll get back to you!