Translate My Blog!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Japanese Culture: Purikura!

My host sister Kyoko and I already have plans to go shopping in the fashion district near our house, and we will do purikura! I can't wait!

Purikura is a type of photo that comes out of a booth that photoshops your pictures for you and makes you look like a model with big eyes and perfect skin. There's also a green screen behind you that puts in any background you want and then later you can edit the pictures and add little symbols/virtual stickers or words. The pictures print in any template you pick and then you can peel them off the backing and stick them anywhere or keep them just the way they are, and it's a huge craze in Japan. My last host sister Miu, took my friend Paulina and I to purikura in Tokyo. We were so surprised at how advanced it all was and how many booths there were.  It's so much better than the crappy photo booths in America!



Here are some pictures of purikura booths and photos:

(Disclaimer: these pictures don't belong to me)






Pretty interesting! It's really fun, and quite an adventure.

I was talking to my host sister on Skype IM and she is super excited that I want to get clothes in Japan and that I like fashion, too! She even wants to lend me clothes, which is so kind of her although I'm definitely not as thin as her! It's something in the water...most Japanese girls eat whatever they want (chocolate, bread, etc.) and stay thin as a board! I wish I had those genetics. Meh. I'm still cute. ;)

The fun thing is that, since I'm a foreigner and I look really different and I'm blonde with blue eyes, pretty much everyone thinks I'm cute/pretty in Japan. It's nice! People took pictures of me and wanted my autograph and literally screamed "kawaii~!!!" (cuteeeee!!!) at me there. It seems like an exaggeration but it's not. Literal screaming! Haha!! It really boosts one's self esteem. They'll do it for anybody. I felt a lot better about myself when I came home from my February trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post!! Love you :) Leave me a comment and I'll get back to you!